Miyuki Delica beads are cylinder shaped Japanese seed beads. Delica beads were first introduced by Miyuki in 1982 as a replacement for antique french metal cylinder beads. Miyuki now makes Delica beads in four sizes: 8/0, 10/0, 11/0 and 15/0.
11/0 Delica beads remain the most popular size of Delicas, with approximately one thousand colors available. This extensive color palette allows bead artists to make subtle variations in color and shading in their work. Because of popular demand, Miyuki continues to add new colors and sizes of Delica beads.
Delica beads are used widely for peyote stitch, brick stitch, and beadweaving on looms because their cylinder shape gives the finished piece a flat surface maximizing any design or pattern. Their exceptional uniformity of size and shape create tiny rectangles which lock together to present an unbroken surface. Bead artists have used Delica beads to create detailed portraits and sculpures with each Delica acting as a single pixel of color.
Delica beads also have a proportionally thin wall and large hole for their size which allows more threads to pass through the woven work. As every beader knows, this gives you more room for invention as well as being helpful for correcting mistakes or securing the finished ends. We recommend Delica beads (especially the largest 8/0 size) as perfect for beginners learning peyote or brick stitch, since it is easy to see when you make a mistake.
Each Delica bead is assigned an item number by Miyuki, which correspond between sizes of Delica (though not between Delicas and seed beads). For example: DB0010 Black is #10 in 11/0 Delicas and DBL-0010 (#10) in 8/0 Delicas as well. In seed beads Miyuki's number for black is 401. Miyuki does not name the colors, so different companies may call colors by different names. Because we carry all the colors of Delica beads, many of the bead stores we sell to have decided to use the color names we come up with. Just don't be confused if we call a bead "rose" and someone else is calling it "pink". We always use Miyuki's item numbers for all our Miyuki beads.
- We sell 11/0 Delica beads in a standard wholesale package of 100 grams (approx 20,000 beads), or in a retail 7.5 gram tube (approx 1,500 beads).
- Our 10/0 Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 10,800 beads) and a retail 7.5 gram tube (approx 810 beads).
- Our 8/0 Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 3,000 beads) and a retail 9-10 gram tube (approx 300 beads).
- Our smallest 15/0 Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 35,000 beads) and a retail 5.0 gram tube (approx 1,750 beads)
- All wholesale beads are also available in half packs.
- Some special colors such as 24k gold plated or palladium are packaged in smaller amounts.
Cut Delica Beads
Delica beads are also available in a hexagonal cut version, with six faceted sides cut into the outside of the cylinder. Cut Delicas are available in all four sizes ? 8/0, 10/0, 11/0 and 15/0 but in a smaller range of colors than their standard counterparts.
- We sell 11/0 Cut Delica beads in a standard wholesale package of 100 grams (approx 23,000 beads) or in a retail 7.5 gram tube (approx 2,300 beads).
- Our 10/0 Cut Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 11,100 beads) and a retail 7.5 gram tube (approx 830 beads).
- Our 8/0 Cut Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 3,600 beads) and a retail 9-10 gram tube (approx 360 beads).
- Our smallest 15/0 Cut Delica beads are sold in 100 gram packs (approx 40,000 beads) and a retail 5 gram tube (approx 2,000 beads).
Delica Bead Mixes
We also sell Delica Bead mixes in a variety of color palettes. Most of the mixes contain ten different colors within a certain color palate. We may substitute a similar color when one is out of stock. Usually we try to match the feeling of the color, as well as the actual shade - choosing a dark matte to replace an opaque if necessary, or a light AB to replace a light transparent.